The Trophy Awards, 1941-42
By ROBERT IRVING HARTLE, Miami
HE Harvard Trophy was presented
to the Fraternity for competition in
1925. The gift came as the culmination
of an idea originated some time previously by Thomas Peterson, Knox '23, to
increase emulation among the chapters
in the worthy objectives of the Fraternity.
It was to be awarded annually to the
chapter attaining the highest efficiency
as showri by a system of weighted points.
By 1929 two other trophies were given
to A and the chapters were arbitrarily divided into three groups according to the male enrollment qf the institution in which they were located. Judge
Bayes, Ohio Wesleyan '01, of New York,
presented the handsome Founders Trophy and the Cleveland Alumni Club
gave the Cleveland Trophy, now more
familiarly known as Cowboy."
Thus the chapters came to compete in a
more uniform and equable manner.
Down through the years these three
trophies, the so-called achievement trophies, have signified the progress of the-
individual chapters as well as of the Fraternity at large.
In 1929 Arthur R. Priest, for many
years the capable and revered Executive
Secretary, donated a silver loving cup to
be awarded annually to that chapter
which had been most co-operative with
the General Headquarters during the
In the May 1925 SCROLL, which
chronicled the installation of Florida
Alpha at the University of Florida, Frank
Wright voiced the aim and ambition of
the new chapter to make Florida Alpha
the finest of all the chapters of the Fraternity. That aim and ambition would
seem to have gone far towards realization; Florida Alpha has placed first in
the Harvard Trophy competition, having accumulated 399 points. This is a
remarkable gain over the twelve and onehalf points awarded them last year, and
indicates an all-out effort that is to be
praised. In the same competition Kansas
Alpha and Wisconsin Alpha battled for