Ole Miss Chapter Rebuilds
By RICHARD GREEN TAYLOR, Mississippi
February 1, 1942, just nine
months after the destruction by fire
of its first fraternity home, Mississippi
Alpha of the University of Mississippi
moved into its beautiful new lodge on
Fraternity Row. The new house, a twostory Southern colonial structure and the
largest and one of the most beautiful
on the campus, is a monument to the
alumni, undergraduates, and others
whose persevering efforts and loyal cooperation made the new home a reality.
Mississippi Alpha, founded in 1877,
had no home until 1936. Previous to this
time a University rule prohibited fraternities from building, but when that
regulation was revoked, the chapter immediately set about planning for a lodge
and in the summer of 1936 a house costing approximately seven thousand dollars was completed.
chapter regularly met all payments on loans, so that by March of 1940
all indebtedness of any kind was completely discharged, the final note having
been paid eighteen months before its
maturity. Thus the house, the second
fraternity home constructed at the University, was built, paid for, and insured
in the record time of less than four years.
In May of 1941 fire swept the chapter
house and only a charred shell of it remained. A week later, interested alumni
and active members had started planning for rebuilding. ThrOugh the efforts
of Richard K. Haxton, '13, who was the
chapter adviser at the time, William N.
Etheridge, '05, president of Theta province at the time, and Candler R. Wiselogle, '42, who was chapter president, a
house building committee was formed to
push plans for the reconstruction.
Early in June the planning program
began to move forward. Untiringly the
members of the building committee
worked and alumni all over the state
were called on to do their part and these
brothers responded with both time and
money. The spirit that prevailed when
the first house was built continued to